European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN): Summer Student Programme
Allgemeines Anliegen des Stipendiums
How do you plan to spend your summer? How does working on an advanced technical project in an experimental or engineering team in Geneva, Switzerland sound? Take your chance and take part in the summer student programme of CERN.
During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing. Visits to the CERN facilities, as well as discussion sessions and workshops are also key features of the programme. Find out more on the Summer Student information page.
Duration of stay: 8-13 weeks (dates of stay to be indicated on the application form)
Art der Förderung
- A contract of association of 8 to 13 weeks* to work on a technical project.
- An extensive physics lecture programme (students will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by Openlab).
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).**
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
Hinweise zur Bewerbung
Please APPLY ONLINE and make sure the following documents are uploaded to your profile before the official deadlines:
- Two mandatory reference letters (dated less than 12 months), from your lecturers and/or previous internships.
- Copy of most recent academic transcript (official document giving an overview of your marks; either issued from your university or copy of the transcript from your university portal)
- CV (English or French
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. If you have not yet uploaded your reference letters when applying, you should forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (Monday 31 January 2022 12 noon CET time).
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme but please note that candidates coming from a CERN Non Member State country can only stay for a duration of 8 weeks.
More information on the website.
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2022, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2022 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not been previously a Summer Student at CERN.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Art des Stipendiums
Praktikum im Ausland
Deutschland, Belgien, Frankreich, Großbritannien / Irland, Italien, Niederlande, Österreich, Schweiz, Skandinavien, GUS, Sonstige (Europa), Kanada, USA, Mittel- und Südamerika, Australien, Neuseeland, Naher Osten, Sonstige (Asien), Afrika, Sonstige (International)
Diplom/Magister-Studenten, Master-Studenten, Bachelor-Studenten